This modest wooden cottage was first listed in the 1942 city directory but may date earlier. It is one of about half a dozen houses still standing from the early days of McCrorey Heights, pre-dating the neighborhood’s post-World War II heyday.
From 1942 into the early 1950s it was home to Edward T. Nelson, a chauffeur, and his wife Arphesia. In the late 1950s Rev. Columbus Crawford lived here, pastor at the small Church of God located a short walk away across Beatties Ford Road at 2229 Booker Avenue in Washington Heights.