No house here in 2016. Building permit(s): Fairmont-814-permit Date issued: January 16, 1964 Owner: City of Charlotte Contractor: Norman’s House Demolishing. Estimated cost: Other permit info: Demolish frame residence [Probably demolished in connection with Waterworks]
This house and the one next door at 1016 Fairmont are among the oldest in McCrorey Heights, dating to the late 1920s or perhaps the 1910s. The earliest known residents here were John Coit and his wife Annie in 1931. Mr. Coit worked as a porter at the downtown furniture store Maxwell Brothers & McDonald.
A later resident from the 1950s into the 2000s was James D. Henderson and wife Mamie. The 1953 city directory listed Mr. Henderson as a tile setter with Atlantic Marble & Tile. By 1961 he owned his own business, Henderson Tile & Marble.
This house and the one next door at 1012 Fairmont are among the oldest in McCrorey Heights, dating to the late 1920s or perhaps the 1910s. The earliest known resident here was Annie M. Wheeler, who first appeared in the city directory at this address in 1930. She was registered nurse who worked at Charlotte’s prestigious Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital. Her skilled position in a white healthcare institution was a rare achievement for an African American in that era. Though the 1930 directory listed only her, the 1931 volume also listed her husband Robert Wheeler, a laborer. Members of the Wheeler family continued to live here at least into the 1960s.