African American real estate dealer George W.C. Moreland, who lived nearby on Patton Avenue, took out permits to build this house in 1961 – 1962. Moreland also took out a permit at the same time to erect 2005 Washington Avenue next door. Both were constructed by contractor T.R. Helms.
First occupants here at 2001 Washington Avenue were Albert J. Rhue and wife Christina H. Rhue, both educators. He taught at Northwest Junior High (now Northwest School of the Arts) on Beatties Ford Road. She served as librarian at Alexander Street School in Charlotte’s First Ward neighborhood.
Ranch, one-story tall in yellow brick. It has a hip roof. Windows are all metal-frame units, including the large picture window in the living room. A large screened porch extends at the west side of the house under a hip roof. The house is on a corner lot facing Washington Avenue at the intersection of Condon Street.
Date issued: October 16, 1961
Owner: T.R. Helms
Other permit info: Inspect framing — probably for original construction of house
Date issued: June 18, 1962
Owner: George W.C. Moreland
Contractor: T.R. Helms Construction
Estimated cost: $7200
Other permit info: Build residence
Date issued: September 28, 1961
Owner: Mr. George Moreland
Contractor: T. R. Helms Construction
Estimated cost: $7,200
Other permit info: to build residence
First appeared in city directory
1964 – Albert J. Rhue & Christina H.
He: Teacher, Northwest Jr. High School
She: Librarian, Alexander Street School
1981 city directory – Mrs. Annette N. Allen (renter)
Albert J. Rhue (5.13.1921 – 10.4.1990) obituary, on-line at: https://newspaperarchive.com/obituary/albert-rhue/30490369/
Nesbit, Sadie, funeral program in the History Room, First United Presbyterian Church, Charlotte.