No picture – house seems not to have existed. Building permit(s): Madison-1625-permit-b Date issued: November 15, 1954 Owner: Dr. S. M. Cornwall Contractor: W. M. Felder Estimated cost: Other permit info: Madison 1625 permit a Date issued: March 24, 1955 Owner: W. M. Felder Contractor: Geo. D. Sanford Estimated cost: Other permit info:
Built 1954 – 55 and first occupied by Rev. Samuel L. Fulwood, Jr., pastor at small-town churches near Charlotte including Bellefonte Presbyterian in Harrisburg, and his wife Hallie, a schoolteacher. They raised Sam Fulwood III in this house, who became a nationally known journalist for Cleveland Plain Dealer, Los Angeles Times and other newspapers. His book Waking from a Dream recalls his youth in McCrorey Heights. In the 2010s Sam Fullwood III worked as Senior Fellow at Center for American Progress, Washington, DC.
Built in 1954-55. Two early residents each worked their way into positions seldom attained by African Americans in their era. Initial occupant Ulysses McCaskill worked as an etcher, making machinery for printing cloth — a rare African American in a skilled trade in the textile industry in the 1950s. Later occupant Reginald Dalton took an active role in the Republican Party and became an auditor for the North Carolina Department of Revenue, part of the generation who integrated state government in the South.
Built in the early 1960s for Ethel Watson, mother-in-law of attorney Charles V. Bell who lived next door at 1645 Madison Avenue. In the 1970s this became the home of Rev. Robert L. Pyant, Pastor at Rock Hill AME Zion Church, and his spouse Genevieve B. Pyant, office clerk at Belk Department Store.
The house was “spec built” in 1957 by Ervin Construction, the leading suburban builder in the Charlotte area during the 1950s – 60s. The initial occupants were Joe and Mildred Grier, educators in Charlotte’s public schools. The family lived here for over half a century, well into the 2010s.
Built in 1955 for attorney Charles V. Bell and his wife Laura E. Bell, a teacher at West Charlotte High School.
Civil Rights activist Charles V. Bell ranked among the Carolinas’ leading African American lawyers. He filed school desegregation lawsuits even before the 1954 Brown v Board desegregation decision by the Supreme Court, and he braved arrest for sitting in a white seat on a Gastonia bus years before Rosa Parks’ famous protest. He became one of the first four African Americans admitted in 1955 to membership in Mecklenburg County’s Bar Association. In 1966 he argued Davis v North Carolina before the U.S. Supreme Court, which helped set precedents that safeguard the rights of arrestees.
Built in 1959-60, longtime home of postal worker Oren McCullough, Jr., and his wife Ruth, a schoolteacher. Mr. McCullough was a trailblazer in opening government employment to African Americans in Charlotte. “In 1948, Oren and ten other African Americans became the first of their race to be hired by the United States Post Office in Charlotte as Letter Carriers,” reported his funeral program.
The Dr. Reginald Hawkins House, built 1953 – 54, was one of four homes of Charlotte Civil Rights leaders bombed in the night in 1965. Charlotte’s most outspoken and persistent activist in the Civil Rights movement, Hawkins won major changes in the city and beyond. His protests played key roles in desegregating the Charlotte airport in 1956, upscale restaurants in 1963, Charlotte Memorial Hospital circa 1963, and much more. One his longest efforts was the series of actions and lawsuits that culminated in Swann v Charlotte Mecklenburg Board of Education, the landmark 1971 U.S. Supreme Court decision that brought court-ordered busing to the nation. In 1968 he became the first African American to run for Governor of North Carolina.
The Hawkins House is architecturally notable, among the earliest and most sophisticated Ranch style designs in Charlotte.