Lloyd Howard Davis (8.27.1909 – 4.8.1991) was born in Cullowhee in the North Carolina mountains. According to the obituary in his funeral program, “After early years of school in western North Carolina, he graduated from the High School Department of Biddle University, now known as Johnson C. Smith University. He received his B.A. degree from St. Augustine College, Raleigh, North Carolina and held an M.A. degree and did substantial work toward a doctorate degree, both at Boston University.
“He began his professional career as a high school teacher in eastern North Carolina. In the early 1940s his teaching career was interrupted when he was called to serve in the United States Army where he attended officers training school and attained the rank of First Lieutenant. He spent several years in both this country and Europe, and upon completion of his military stint, returned to a career in his first love — teaching.
“In 1951 he joined the faculty of Johnson C. Smith University as a ‘teacher of teachers’ in the Department of Education. He later became chairman of that department, teaching and supervising practice teachers. He retired from Johnson C. Smith University in 1975. His former co-workers and students will remember him fondly for his ‘labor of love’ for excellence in the classroom.
“Lloyd was affiliated with many educational and civid organizations through the years. Additionally he was Clerk of Session and Ruling Elder at Statesville Avenue Presbyterian Church; a past-president of the McCrorey Heights – Oaklawn Community organization; a member of Kappa Alpha Phi Fraternity; and a member of Phi Delta Kappa Educational Society. He had an intense interest in world, national and civic affairs, enjoyed watching sports and was an avid reader.
“For forty-six years he was married to Thelma Spaulding Davis. To this union was born one daughter, Karen L. Davis, who was the delight of his life. He was a devoted and loving husband, and a doting, but strong, father figure to his daughter.”
One of the larger Ranch style houses in McCrorey Heights, one-story in red brick under a gable roof. Though clearly a Ranch in its long, horizontal form, it has details drawn from the Colonial Revival: a relatively high-pitched roof, dentil molding under the eaves, double-hung sash windows with eight-over-eight small square panes.
Madison 1633 permit a
Date issued: September 30, 1958
Owner: Lloyd H. Davis
Contractor: Ed Griffin Const. Co.
Other permit info: Build residence
First appeared in city directory
1960 Lloyd H. Davis & Thelma S.
HE: Professor, JCSU
She: Teacher, Marie G. Davis School
1981 city directory – still listed, retired.