Built in 1957 – 58 for Henry Knight and his wife Emma B. Knight. Mr. Knight was a helper at Swift & Co., the Charlotte branch of the national meat-packing company that was located along the Southern Railway tracks near the present intersection of 16th Street and Brevard/Parkwood Street. Mrs. Knight was a nurse.
A later occupant of the dwelling in 1981 was also a nurse: Mrs. Violet Brown who worked as a LPN at Charlotte Community Hospital (also known as Good Samaritan Hospital), 801 S, Graham Street.
Ranch style house, one story in red brick. There is a main gable roof, a secondary gable facing the rear, and another gable projecting at the front to form the front porch. Windows and porch columns appear to have been replaced in recent years; the current bay window in the living room may replace an earlier picture window.
Madison 1644 permit
Date issued: November 29, 1957
Owner: Henry Knight and wife
Contractor: Fred Shue
Other permit info: Build residence
First appeared in city directory
1959 – Henry Knight & Emma B.
He: Helper at Swift & Co.
1981 – Mrs. Violet Brown, LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse), Charlotte Community Hospital, 801 S. Graham Street