1729 Oaklawn Avenue
Built 1968-1969 for Mildred P. Aldridge and her second husband Theodore A. Aldridge. She earned degrees at Shaw University, University of Cincinnati and Columbia University in New York City. She taught elementary school in Charlotte for many years at the Morgan, Biddleville, Oaklawn and Paw Creek schools.
Mrs. Aldridge had an impressive family background. Her father Edgar was a local business leader who owned the Service Barber Shop downtown, known for its elite white clients. Her first husband, Dr. Milledge Brodie, was a physician and the son of the pastor of Charlotte’s imposing Brooklyn Presbyterian Church. When Dr. Brodie passed away, Mildred married Theodore Aldridge, about whom little is known.