1917 Washington Avenue

This is a draft, now being reviewed by members of the McCrorey Heights Neighborhood Association. Please share comments with Tom@HistorySouth.org 

This is among the first of the houses built after World War II in McCrorey Heights. The initial dwelling was among the smaller in the neighborhood, built by Perry Haynes, who held a more humble job than many of his later neighbors: warehouse clerk at the A & P grocery warehouse on Summit Avenue. Census data indicates that Haynes was born in South Carolina about 1909. His wife Gladys, also from South Carolina, was two years younger. The 1940 Census showed them with two young sons and a daughter, all born in North Carolina.

Washington-1917-a-web

Architecture

Appears to have been built as a small gable-roofed brick cottage, then given a large gable-roofed brick front addition, perhaps in the 1970s. Visually it fits well with the neighboring Ranch style houses.

Building permits

Washington-1917-permit
Date issued: September 9, 1964
Owner: Parry Haynes
Contractor: by owner
Estimated cost: $100
Other permit info: carport

Washington-1917-permit-a
Date issued: August 12, 1968
Owner: Perry Haynes
Contractor: by owner
Estimated cost: $300
Other permit info: build metal carport and shed

First appeared in city directory

1948 – Perry Haynes & Gladys.
He: Clerk, A&P Warehouse.
She: No occupation listed

Resources