1646 Washington Avenue

This is a draft, now being reviewed by members of the McCrorey Heights Neighborhood Association. Please share comments with Tom@HistorySouth.org 

Built in 1957, first occupied by Presbyterian minister Rev. Hercules Wilson and wife Carrie D. Wilson.

A native of Darien, Georgia, Hercules Wilson (April 13,1883 – February, 1978) came to Charlotte in 1903 to attend the “preparatory department” of what is now Johnson C. Smith University. He stayed on to graduate from the college in 1908, and from the institution’s School of Theology in 1911. He pastored at rural Presbyterian churches, then helped organize Charlotte’s Brooklyn Presbyterian Church in 1911. (Brooklyn Presbyterian would merge with First United Presbyterian in 1968 when the Brooklyn neighborhood was bulldozed during “urban renewal.”). He accepted a call to Westminster Presbyterian in Concord in 1917 where he served forty years until retirement in 1957. He was also active in the administration of the Catawba Synod of the Presbyterian Church, serving as Moderator (elected leader) among other capacities.

When Rev. Wilson retired, he and wife Carrie Dockery Wilson chose to move into McCrorey Heights. It was a place to be part of the cultural life of Charlotte, especially the intellectual and religious opportunities of Johnson C. Smith University, and many McCrorey Heights neighbors were Presbyterian ministers.

Rev. Wilson’s sermons and other papers are in the collection of Woodruff Library, Atlanta University Center.

Washington-1646-c-web
Washington-1646-d-web
Washington-1646-b-web

Architecture

Cottage style house, 1.5 stories tall in red brick. It has a steep gable roof that hides the second story, with a projecting front gabled wing. Next to the front wing, the main roof extends to create the front porch. Most windows are double-hung sash, with the exception of a large three-part “picture window” under the front porch. Note the substantial exterior chimney on the west side, promising a welcoming hearth within.

Building permits

Washington-1646-permit-a
Date issued: September 24, 1956
Owner:
Contractor: Pioneer Plumbing Co.
Estimated cost:
Other permit info: Plumbing, probably part of original construction of the house.

Washington-1646-permit
Date issued: August 23, 1956
Owner: H. Watson
Contractor: Mangie McQueen
Estimated cost:
Other permit info: Build residence

First appeared in city directory

1957 – under construction. 1958 – Rev. Hercules Wilson & Carrie D.
No occupation listed for him nor her.

1982 city directory – Rev. Wilson is still listed here.

Resources

“St. Lloyd Presbyterian Church: Survey & Research Report,” Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004. On-line at: http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs%20Alphabetical%20Order/surveys&rlloydpresby.htm

Rev. Hercules Wilson Collection, Woodruff Library, Atlanta University Center, Atlanta, Georgia.

Wilson, Hercules, funeral program in the History Room, First United Presbyterian Church, Charlotte.

Wilson, Pinkney, funeral program in the History Room, First United Presbyterian Church, Charlotte.

City directory collection, Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

Building permit files, Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.