1631 Patton Avenue

This is a draft, now being reviewed by members of the McCrorey Heights Neighborhood Association. Please share comments with Tom@HistorySouth.org 

Built 1960-1961. First occupant: Winston B. Fletcher, a teacher at Second Ward High School; the city directory listed no spouse.  A later directory consulted at random, for 1981, showed Antonio Barrett at this address, also apparently single and also employed by Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.

Patton-1631-a-web

Architecture

Ranch house. Red brick. One story with hip roof.  Massing is more sophisticated than many houses in McCrorey Heights: part of the front facade is shallowly inset to create a porch, and part is deeply inset to create a carport. Note the floor-to-ceiling corner window at the rear of the house, another unusual architecture flourish.  The 1960 building permit is one of the few in McCrorey Heights to list a name in the blank for “Architect or Engineer:” Don Sopher. Nothing is known about Sopher’s career.

Building permits indicate that this was one of six houses in the neighborhood that were “spec-built” by Marsh Realty (also known as Marsh-Broadway), one of Charlotte’s largest suburban builders in the years after WWII. The Marsh houses were: 1604 Patton, 1607 Patton, 1631 Patton, 1643 Patton, 1601 Van Buren (moved or demolished circa 1968), 643 Fairfield (moved or demolished circa 1968). Marsh also served as contractor for 1601 Patton, 1805 Madison and 1911 Washington.

Building permits

Patton-1631-permit
Date issued: November 9, 1960
Owner: Marsh-Broadway Construction
Contractor: Marsh-Broadway Construction
Architect or Engineer: Don Sopher
Estimated cost: $14,000
Other permit info: Build residence

Building permit files, Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

First appeared in city directory

1964 – Winston B. Fletcher. Teacher, 2nd Ward High. No spouse.

1981 – Antonio Barrett (1st year at address). Empl, CMS Board of Ed

City directory collection, Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.