More research is needed to clarify the history of this house. Three different, conflicting permits exist for this address at 1601 Washington Avenue. But architectural evidence suggests that the dwelling actually dates from yet another, later period.
- One permit describes a house built by owner Jerry Flack at 767 Van Buren Avenue in 1960. A notation on the permit indicates that the house was one of several uprooted and moved to new sites during construction of the Brookshire Freeway circa 1967.
- Another record in the permit file for 1601 Washington mentions a house moved from 1623 Van Buren about that same time.
- The third permit, dated 1965, allowed owner W.R. Coleman to “build residence” at this address, with H.W. Carriker as contractor. A sketch on the permit shows a house of a different shape than what exists now. (Note that Winston R. Coleman later built and occupied another house up the street at 1629 Washington beginning about 1975).
A look at the foundation of 1601 Washington suggests that it may be older that the rest of the house. And the projecting front wing appears to have been added after the rest of the foundation was built.
Perhaps the whole house was massively renovated — front addition, all new windows, siding, deck– circa 2002?
This address does not appear in the city directory until 2003, when it is home to Henry D. Harris.
This one-story house takes care to fit in with its Ranch style neighbors. Like many houses in McCrorey Heights, it is one-story tall with horizontal massing. There is a main gable roof, plus two “nested” front gables: the smaller one forms the living room; the larger one extends to shelter the front porch. Detailing — particularly the factory-made windows and the use of wood-like clapboard on the main body of the house but red-brick on the front wall of the wing — indicate that the house dates from the early 2000s.
Washington 1601 permit
Date issued: November 1, 1965
Owner: W. R. Coleman
Contractor: H. W. Carriker
Estimated cost: $17,000
Other permit info: Build residence
Date issued: 1969
Other permit info: House moved from 1623 Van Buren St.
Date issued: April 27, 1960
Owner: Jerry H. Flack & Ruebena
Contractor: Marsh-Broadway Const. Co.
Other permit info: This is permit for original construction of house for owner Jerry Flack at 767 Van Buren (moved to 1601 Washington due to Brookshire Freeway construction circa 1967). [Flack later lived at 2014 Washington in a split-level moved from 1601(?) Van Buren.]
First appeared in city directory
2003 – Henry D. Harris. [Directories do not list occupation in this era.]