1808 Van Buren Avenue
This is one of a row of four houses “spec built” by local contractor Wheatley & Co. The firm took out all four permits on the same day, April 22, 1955, to construct 1800, 1804, 1808, and 1812 Van Buren Avenue.
When the house first appeared in the city directories, in 1957, the occupant was Mrs. Virginia W. Stepteau. She worked as a cashier with the North Carolina Mutual Insurance Company, one of the nation’s largest black-owned businesses.